Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one.

-C.S. Lewis

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

30000

Bush says that 30,000 Iraqis have died as a result of our invasion. Who is the source for this information?

The White House later said that Bush, by using the 30,000 number, was repeating the casualty count mentioned in the media and by independent groups. The Web site Iraqbodycount.org estimates the number of Iraqis killed at a low of 27,383 and a high of 30,892, based on online media and eyewitness accounts.
Does anyone else find this a bit unbelievable? Does he really expect me to believe that the US intelligence community relies on paparazzi for the inside scoop on Iraq?

I'm sure Tommy Franks was telling the truth when he said "we don't do body counts," but I have to believe that the Pentagon has its own internal estimates. Why not just use that number?

The idea that this figure came from the media strikes me as extremely disingenuous. Clearly, the motive here is to set up the media as a) the messenger that we should now shoot and, if you're Rush Limbaugh, b) authors of an inherently biased report that can be ignored at will.

"No way that many died. Just not possible. Did I mention that Iraqbodycount.org is funded by George Soros?"

This blog is based on a true story.